Blackwell Motors Limited (“Blackwells Motor Group” or "Blackwell Motors" or “we” or “us” or “our”) recognises the importance of protecting an individual's privacy. We appreciate that individuals are concerned about the security of their personal information and credit information (“information”) and we are committed to protecting such information we hold and to meeting our obligations.
This policy sets out how Blackwell Motors Limited handles your information. It also includes how we handle information collected from third parties.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 2020 and all supporting regulations.
Blackwell Motors Limited is part of the Oakwood Motor Group, GM Network and Mazda Network which includes:
- Oakwood Motor Group Limited (including entities and relating bodies within the “Oakwood Motor Group” such as "Arthur Burke Limited" and "Smallbone Isuzu");
- Blackwell Motors Limited (including entities and relating bodies within the “Blackwells Motor Group” such as "Blackwells Holden", "Blackwells GMSV", "Blackwells HSV", "Blackwells Isuzu", "Blackwells Mazda", "Blackwells Sockburn", "Blackwells Used", "Blackwells Parts" and "Blackwells Panel & Paint").
- General Motors Australia and New Zealand Pty Ltd (“GM Specialty Vehicles”; “GMSV”);
- General Motors New Zealand Limited (“Holden New Zealand”; “Isuzu New Zealand”);
- General Motors Australia NSC Pty Limited;
- Authorised Holden Dealers, HSV Dealers, GMSV Dealers and Isuzu Dealers in New Zealand;
- Mazda Motors of New Zealand Limited (“Mazda NZ”);
- Authorised Mazda Dealers in New Zealand;
What information do we collect and hold?
As you interact with Blackwell Motors Limited and our wider network(s)/group(s), there may be instances where you provide us with your personal information. Additionally, we may collect certain personal information about you as further described below.
The types of information that we collect about you may include, but are not limited to:
- Contact information (such as name, date of birth, address(es), residential and/or business address(es), physical and/or postal address(es), email address(es) and contact number(s));
- Vehicle information (such as vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease and service history);
- Vehicle performance data (such as engine and transmission performance, vehicle camera images and airbag deployment conditions or crash or near crash information about how a vehicle’s system performed, emissions data);
- Demographic information (such as age range, marital status and household composition);
- Payment details (such as account or credit card details) and payment-related information in connection with your purchase of our products and/or services;
- Finance details such as financial, insurance or credit information, employment details and history;
- Non-credit-related marketing profile information (such as when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you're interested);
- Survey responses that you provide to us;
- Relationships you have with us in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle;
- Incentive eligibility verification information;
- Investor information (such as name, address(es), contact number(s) and email address(es)); and
- Photographs such as those that you may submit for contests, credit checks, trade-in vehicles or relating to an after-sales enquiry.
Sensitive information: We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or required by law to collect that information). Examples of sensitive information is personal information concerning religious beliefs or affiliation, racial, ethnic origin, political opinions or other beliefs, membership of a political association, membership of a professional or trade association, union affiliation or activities, health, genetics, biometrics, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, criminal administrative proceedings or sanctions.
Providing someone else’s personal information: If you provide us with personal information about another person (such as a joint vehicle owner or authorised driver or contact person), please tell them about this Policy so they are aware that you have provided their information to us and that they can read this Policy to understand how their information will be handled.
How do we collect your information?
We may collect information in a variety of ways, including directly from you, for example:
- When you complete a form to order a vehicle, parts or accessories, book your vehicle for servicing, or make a general enquiry about our products and services;
- When you contact or interact with us whether in person, by email, phone, SMS or other forms of communication, or via our website or social media;
- When you use data-collecting devices, products or systems; or
- When you participate in our surveys, competitions, promotions, events, sponsorships or other activities.
We also collect personal information about vehicle owners from the Motor Vehicle Register, in accordance with our authorisation to access the Motor Vehicle Register for specified purposes under section 241 of the Land Transport Act 1998.
We may collect information from organisations within the GM Network, Mazda Network, Oakwood Motor Group related bodies and Blackwells Motors Group related bodies.
Sometimes, we may collect your information from third parties such as:
- Providers of data-collecting devices, products or systems that you use;
- Your accountant for the purposes of assessing a credit application;
- Where an individual is an officer of a company that has applied for credit, we may collect information about the officer from public records or from other officers of the company who arranged that company's credit application;
- When named as a personal referee by you, we collect that personal referee's personal information from the written credit application form;
- Another credit provider where you have or had a credit account;
- The Credit Reporting Body (“CRB”) where we obtain your credit report;
- Your insurer or broker;
- Contractors performing a service or function on our behalf;
- Regulatory authorities;
- Marketing agencies and similar lists which are legally acquired by us; and
- Any other parties you refer us to or who refer us to you.
Whenever you visit or interact with any one of Blackwell Motors Limited websites or other online platforms of ours (“Platforms”), we, as well as any third-party service provider and/or advertiser, may use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively record information about how the Platform is accessed and used (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may include your IP address or other unique identifier for the device used to access a Platform ("Device Identifier"), browser type, “Device” type (computer, mobile phone, tablet or other device), operation system, application version, date and time of visit, pages viewed, preceding page views and your use of features or applications on the Platform such as interactions with connections or groups.
Usage Information helps us keep our Platforms relevant to users and allows us to tailor content to a user’s interests. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we will treat it as personal information.
We may use Device Identifiers to help us administer Platforms, diagnose problems with our servers, analyse trends, observe Platform usage and activity over time, help identify you and your shopping cart, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Cookies (data files placed on a Device when it is used to visit a Platform): may be used to associate you with third-party platforms such as Trade Me Motors and Facebook and, if you so choose, enable interaction between your activities on our Platforms and those third party platforms. We or our vendors may place cookies on your Device for security purposes, to facilitate site navigation and personalise your experience while visiting our Platforms (such as allowing us to select which ads or offers are most likely to appeal to you, based on your interests, preferences, location or demographic information).
To learn how you may manage cookies, or delete cookies that have already been installed, please refer to your browser’s help menu or instructions. If you disable or opt out of receiving cookies, some features and functions on our Platforms may not work properly or fully because we may not be able to recognise and associate you with your account(s). In addition, the offers we provide may not be as relevant to you or tailored to your interests.
Web beacons: We may also place web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
If you do not wish to participate in our Google Ads Remarketing, you can opt out by visiting Google's Ads Preference Manager (myaccount.google.com/u/0/privacy?pli=1#ads).
To learn more about how to opt out of Facebook Interest-Based Advertising, go to the Privacy tab on the Facebook website footer, and then select Facebook Ads Controls.
To measure site activity and provide a better user experience, we may allow our service providers or business partners to compile information from the cookies, web beacons or other technologies on our websites. This may include information about your visit (such as demographic data, browser type, IP address, pages visited, activities conducted on the page and the day and time of your visit). We may also allow third party advertising and personalisation partners to use this information to develop personalised content and appropriate advertising based on your visits over time on our website.
How do we use and when will we disclose your information?
The information we collect about you will be used to but not limited to:
- Provide you with products and services (including third party services such as roadside assistance which is provided by contractors) or information about our products and services;
- Maintain customer relationships;
- Operate our websites and applications;
- Provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as vehicle purchase follow-ups, vehicle service reminders, recall information or warranty service);
- Responding to your enquiries, concerns or complaints;
- Evaluate vehicle performance and safety as described in the vehicle owner manual;
- Improving your customer experience and our marketing, including through data analytics, safety and product planning, development and research purposes;
- Verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs;
- For marketing, advertising and promotional purposes (such as products, services, special offers, surveys and/or events);
- Customise and improve communication content; and
- Protecting our interests, including by registering a security interest on the Personal Property Securities Register or checking against sanctions or other reference lists;
- Comply with legal requirements and to exercise legal rights;
- Assessing and considering your application (if applicable) as a prospective job applicant, dealer/franchisee or contractor.
We may publish (including by posting on social media) customer testimonials/video testimonials which may contain personally identifiable information. We will obtain the customer’s consent prior to publishing the testimonial along with their name.
We may disclose your information to others including:
- The GM Network’s related bodies (including the parent company General Motors Company in United States of America);
- The Mazda Network’s related bodies (including the parent company Mazda Motor Corporation in Japan);
- The Oakwood Motor Group and Blackwells Motor Group related bodies;
- Our agents or contractors who perform a particular function or service on our behalf;
- Government and law enforcement agencies, bodies and regulators, or a dispute resolution body of which we are a member, if we are required to disclose your information to such authorities;
- Your employer or former employer (for example, to conduct a reference check for potential employment or finance applications); or
- Your vehicle logbook data, and service and repair history (including in relation to warranty and recalls, if applicable) may be made available to subsequent owners (if any) of your vehicle. We do not disclose any personally identifying information about you to subsequent owners of your vehicle.
Examples of our third party agents or contractors include:
- Mailing houses;
- Organisations that assist us to conduct marketing, advertising, promotions, events or market research;
- Customer support providers;
- Information technology service providers;
- Business application and website providers;
- Accountants, lawyers and other professional advisors.
We may also disclose your information to third parties where required or authorised by or under law.
We do not sell, pass on, or share any information you provide to us to any third parties that are not part of the GM Network, Mazda Network, Oakwood Motor Group related bodies and Blackwells Motor Group related bodies.
The GM Network, Mazda Network, Oakwood Motor Group and Blackwells Motor Group (or any of the entities which make up our motoring network and/or group including their agents and contractors if any acting on their behalf), may send you direct marketing to inform you about products or services, surveys, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you. These marketing communications may include joint promotions with manufacturers, other dealers or other promotion partners, and may be sent to you using any contact details provided by you, such as post, phone, email or SMS.
Please note that the organisations comprising the GM Network, Mazda Network, Oakwood Motor Group and Blackwells Motor Group are separate organisations. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications and surveys from a member of the Network, you can let that organisation know at any time using the contact details in their respective privacy policies or utilising the “unsubscribe” or other opt-out function offered by the organisation.
If you do not wish to receive any marketing communications from Blackwell Motors Limited, you can let us know by using the contact details provided below “Contact us”, or by utilising the “unsubscribe” function in electronic communications from the organisation. In some circumstances we may need to contact you to obtain additional information, verify your identity or to clarify your request, in order to action it.
Your consent to receive direct marketing communications from the GM Network, Mazda Network, Oakwood Motor Group and Blackwells Motor Group in the above ways will be deemed if you do not opt out when you are offered the opportunity to do so, and will remain current on an ongoing basis unless and until you advise otherwise.
If the law requires us to provide you with information about our products or services (for example, product recalls), we will provide that information even if you have elected not to receive information about our products and services generally.
How we keep your information safe
We maintain reasonable and adequate technical, administrative, and physical security and confidentiality measures designed to help protect your information from unauthorised access or acquisition. We also require by contract (other than in an emergency situations) that third party services providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also undertake to provide such security and confidentiality measures in accordance with industry standards.
We will strive to ensure that information about you is accurate when we collect or use it. Subject to some exceptions under privacy laws, we will, on your request, give you a copy of the personal information we hold about you and correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. If we do not grant you access to your personal information, we will tell you why. If you request corrections to your personal information and we agree with your request, the corrections will be made as soon as practicable. If we do not agree to your request for correction, we will notify you of the reasons and will note your request on the records we hold about you.
If you have concerns or questions regarding our privacy practices, or to update your contact information, or to make a personal information access or correction request, or to unsubscribe from marketing communications, please contact us.
Blackwell Motors Limited
If you believe that your privacy has been interfered with please contact us using the contact information above providing details of the incident so that we can investigate it. We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. We will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
If you remain dissatisfied, you can lodge a complaint with Office of the Privacy Commissioner by visiting www.privacy.org.nz, calling 0800 803 909 or using the online complaint form. If your complaint relates to your finance with us you may access the Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman Service at www.ifso.nz or by calling 0800 888 202.